Books and Explorations: June at Glance


June was probably my slowest month, but somehow I read fewer books? 


Like I said, not much happened in June. Work has picked up, but that was to be expected. Summer is our peak season so it's all hands on deck. Matt and I attended another Chicago Fire game because that's what we do apparently. I'm a bit upset because the next home game isn't until August, but I'll live. We also went to the Chicago Botanic Gardens and got to check out some funky plant that smells like a rotting corpse when it blooms. I guess that's the plant's way of attracting insects to it....which is pretty gross. Besides that, it was a beautiful trip and I can't wait to do it again!

I also went to Puerto Rican Festival for the first time. It's kind of an infamous celebration in Chicago because it typically ends in some kind of violence (this year was no different). Each time I've tried to go something stops me from going (weather, pure laziness, etc) but I made plans with friends to attend so I had to go! It was definitely not what I was expecting but it was a lot of fun. I got to eat yummy foods, enjoy good music, and have fun watching parents trying to control their children from a sugar rush. Always a good time. 

And then lastly, as you may know, I attended ALA for the first time. It was a nice change of pace from BEA and I really enjoyed myself. I have enough books to last me a lifetime and I'm already stressing about my reading schedule for this fall. It's a fun stress through. At least I think it is. 

My grandmother-in-law's birthday was the same weekend as ALA as well. She turned 95 years old and it was such a cool celebration. Some of Matt's out-of-town family flew in just for the occasion and brought the most recent great-grandchild so that the oldest and the youngest family member could be photographed together. It was funny seeing them interact. 

I can't remember what else I did in June. It was a super hot month and I think my body is finally paying for all of the heat and my lack of water intake. I need to be better in staying hydrated in the summer. 







I did 'okay' when it came to blogging in June. Like I said, I can't remember a single thing that I did, but I still struggled with keeping up with reviews and commenting on other blogs. My bujo got ignored which probably led to me know being as active in the blogging world, but I'm committed for the month of July!



Favorite Read: The Disappearances (4.5 stars)
Least Favorite Read: Little Wrecks (2 stars)

I aimed to read 11 books and was just shy of meeting that goal. Oh well. 


July will be a bit busier for me. I'll be on a week-long work trip which I'll probably be preparing for up until I leave. The Gold Cup is on so I'll be talking a lot more about soccer on twitter. You have been warned. I'm hoping to read 8 books and start making a dent in my ALA pile. I also plan to participate in #24in48. It's a read-a-thon that challenges readers to read for 24 hours within a weekend. I've never succeeded in doing it, but it's a lot of fun.



Well, that was what I did in June, what did you do?

Labels: ,